The Westborough Center for History and Culture at the Westborough Public Library is a place where you can both explore the history and culture of Westborough, MA and contribute to our shared understanding of what Westborough is all about. Here is a summary of current programs and services:
- Westborough Archive – explore and discover Westborough’s deep local history resources and collections, many of which are available online. Research guides to local history collections are also available.
- Westborough History Connections – how does Westborough connect to regional, national, and international historical trends? Each year we will focus on a specific topic and design programs to help us figure out this question together. This year’s topic: how does history connect Westborough and India?
- Architectural Walking Tours – learn about the houses and buildings in various Westborough neighborhoods from tour guides R. Christopher Noonan and Luanne Crosby. (Next tour: Sunday, October 14, 2018, 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM: Free!)
- Photographer-in-Residence Program – every year, the Westborough Center designates someone to serve as a “resident” photographer to document life and culture in Westborough. Are you interested in applying?
- The Church and Family Papers of Rev. Ebenezer Parkman – Parkman was Westborough’s first minister, and throughout his life he kept a detailed diary, which is now considered to be one of the best resources for understanding daily life in colonial New England. This website brings together his diary and other writings.
- Westborough History Blog – do you have a story, memory, or historical knowledge of Westborough that you want to share? You can publish it on this community blog.
The Westborough Center for History and Culture also offers research support for Westborough local history and genealogy, local history programs coordinated with the Westborough Public Schools, volunteer and internship opportunities, and a place to “experience history” (right now we have a collection of stereoscopes available for viewing).
Do you have an idea for a program or cultural event that will enhance the understanding of our community? Do you have a historical or cultural item related to Westborough that you would like us to digitize and add to our digital collections? Do you want to help us organize or scan a collection? Stop by or contact Anthony Vaver (Local History Librarian) at 508-366-3050 ext. 5284 or email email@example.com.