Westborough History Connections is a rolling series of programs where we explore how Westborough connects to regional, national, and international historical trends.
A Meeting of Two Cultures: Native Americans and Early European Settlers in Westborough
- A Meeting of Two Cultures: Native Americans and Early European Settlers in Westborough – This series of essays from the Westborough Pastimes Newsletter explores the meeting of two cultures, Native Americans and European settlers, by examining the different social frameworks that structured their lives in order to gain a more nuanced and sophisticated understanding of the early history of the area in and around Westborough. Also see Native American Resources in the Westborough Public Library, the new research guide to accompany this series.
The Library’s Story – A Westborough Public Library Exhibit
- The Library’s Story – A Westborough Public Library Exhibit explores the history of the Westborough Public Library, which goes back to 1773. Learn how the library has served as an integral hub to the Westborough community throughout its history.
Changing Pictures of Childhood: A Comparative History of Child Welfare in Westborough
- Changing Pictures of Childhood: A Comparative History of Child Welfare in Westborough – This exhibit examines how different ideas about childhood and children’s needs informed the practices of child welfare at two points in Westborough’s history, pauper apprenticeship in the early American period and the Lyman School for Boys in the early twentieth century.
History and the Westborough Seal
- History and the Westborough Seal – This Westborough History Connections article discusses how and why Westborough’s town seal was changed in 1967, Eli Whitney and the consequences that resulted from his cotton gin invention, and some uncomfortable content discovered while researching the seal.
The Fight for Women’s Suffrage in Westborough
- “The Fight for Women’s Suffrage in Westborough: An Online Exhibit” – This Westborough History Connections online exhibit marks the 100th anniversary of the passage of the 19th Amendment and explores how the issue was debated in Westborough.
How Does History Connect Westborough and India? Blog Series
- Read the Local History Librarian’s attempt to answer this question, starting with the Introduction to this blog series.